Media Glass Bulletin Spokesperson Mr. Vikram Khanna Coo – Consumer Glass, Coo – Architectural Institutional Business Cmo, Cio, Asahi India Glass Ltd. (Ais)
At the glasspro India international exhibition, recently concluded at the India Expo mart, Greater Noida, Mr. Vikram Khanna, Asahi India Glass Ltd., spoke to Mr. Lakhan Singh, Editor of Glass Bulletin on the aspects of the glass industry in general and his expectations from the exhibition. Excerpts:
1. What was your expectation from this exhibition when you decided to be part of it?
glasspro INDIA is an international exhibition for showcasing the latest and finest trends and innovations in flat and processed glass products and applications.
The objective of participating in the exhibition was to showcase our wide range of innovative glass solutions and engage with architects and interior designers, façade consultants, builders and developers, dealers, glass manufactures, processors and fabricators and also with manufacturers of glass processing solutions and tools.
2. What new products were showcased by you?
Many new products and solutions recently introduced by AIS were showcased in the exhibition:-
- Fire-resistant Glass Range (FRG) under the brand AIS Pyrobel. AIS Pyrobel is a high-end FRG range specially engineered to ithstand extreme levels of heat, restrict heat transfer and prevent passage of smoke and flame. It is the perfect solution for rchitects, builders and interior design experts to design modern building spaces in a manner, which will contain damage
Ecosense Excel is a specialized green building glass with advanced solar control and low-E properties. This glass product comes with excellent thermal insulation and best-in-class solar control performance
in an unfortunate occurrence of fire. AIS Pyrobel is well-suited for hospitals, hotels, public buildings, schools, shopping malls, airports, theatres, parks, ships, and railways, as well as for industrial uses like machines, crane cabins, etc. It finds application in doors and windows, partitions, roofs, smoke screens, etc.
- A new range under our Ecosense range of high-performance glasses (The Green Standard in Glass). The new range – Excel combines the best of functionalities with best-inclass eco-friendly features. Ecosense Excel is a specialized green building glass with advanced solar control and low-E properties. This glass product comes with excellent thermal insulation and best-in-class solar control performance. Excel (Double Low-E glass) can be used in a number of applications, like structural glazing, façade glazing, bolted systems, curtain walling and fenestration applications, insulated glazing units, laminated double glazed units, laminated, heat treated and bent glazing units. The two series in which Ecosense Excel is available are – Pearl and Sparkle. The shades available in these two series are Clear, Blue, and Green.
- AIS Swytchglas is really the cutting edge in glass technology which has the power to control transparency making it the smartest glass around. With AIS Swytchglas, you can turn the glass from transparent to translucent, with the click of a button. This presents a view into a whole new world of opportunities with glass.
The principle behind Swytchglas is the PDLC (Polymer Dispersed Liquid Crystal) technology. There is a smart film between the two Special Polymer films. The Smart Film is a suspension of liquid crystals in a polymer base that can be controlled using an electric charge. Under normal conditions the liquid crystals are randomly distributed and when light hits the glass, it is scattered by the liquid crystals. When an electric current is passed through the glass pane, the liquid crystals align themselves into straight lines allowing all the light to pass through without scattering. It can be used as a stunning and practical design feature in homes, residences, corporate offices, hotels, retail outlets and salons. This intelligent glass can be used in a variety of applications. It acts as an ideal privacy solution in health & beauty salons, conference rooms, personal cabins and changing room cabins in retail outlets.
AIS Décor is available in 11 vibrant shades – Venetian Red, Black Pearl, Snow White, Sterling Silver, Chrome Yellow, Stone Grey, Turquoise Green, Hazel Brown, Sparkling Beige and Sparkling Snow White and Sparkling Regal Gold
- The best of raw materials and technical expertise goes into making high-performance, high quality uPVC door and window solutions – AIS VUE, that are aesthetic and contemporary. The unwanted elements – noise, dust, heat, and burglars – are kept outside one’s living space, stylishly. And the profiles are available in a variety of shapes, styles and colours to suit one’s requirements.
With a vast range of choices available for window profiles, and with the customization that is possible, one can be sure of creating a space that is uniquely suited to the utilitarian as well as aesthetic requirements of its occupants. Every home, and every room in it, can benefit from windows that are stylish and give people a beautiful living space.
- Glass has the potential to create stunning ambiences with the power to transform living and elevate lifestyle. Lacquered glass gives a fresh and innovative look to interiors. It can be used in humid environments such as bathrooms as well. It is hassle-free to clean & maintain and hygienic as well. It is also durable and remains unaffected by moisture & scratches.
AIS Décor is a range of colored lacquered glass specially designed to make interiors look vibrant. AIS Décor is available in 11 vibrant shades – Venetian Red, Black Pearl, Snow White, Sterling Silver, Chrome Yellow, Stone Grey, Turquoise Green, Hazel Brown, Sparkling Beige and Sparkling Snow White and Sparkling Regal Gold which gives the customers’ colourful options for creating sophisticated and contemporary interiors in homes and offices.”
- Asahi India Glass Ltd. (AIS) has entered the glass replacement and retrofitting market by introducing AIS Renew in India. It is a revolutionary solution which converts a Glazed Unit (SGU or IGU) into an energy-saving Insulated Glazed Unit (IGU) by installing Low-E glass from the inside. The installation procedure is very quick and does not require any scaffolding which makes it an ideal solution for energy-saving renovations in existing buildings.
3. What do you think is the biggest challenge facing this industry in the present day?
On the supply side, one challenge is to be able to produce flat glass efficiently in the country. Another critical issue is logistics, for which infrastructure needs to be developed. As glass is a unique material – voluminous, weighty and fragile – transporting it over a distance poses a challenge. On the demand side, it needs to pick up. Efforts need to be made to encourage the market to adopt value-added glass. The challenge lies in moving a community of developers to adopt value-added glass even when there is cost pressure. Additionally, project delays cause disruptions.
4. What do you envision is the road ahead for your organization?
AIS will continue its journey focusing on an increased proportion of valueadded products that are eco-friendly, have excellent quality, better features and great aesthetics. AIS is well positioned to cater to increasing demand of architectural glass segment. AIS’ value accretive growth is built on the platform of its manufacturing prowess, which we will continue to expand with more value-added products, providing an embracing customer experience. AIS is already moving in this direction and believes that glass is a futuristic product and capable of meeting all requirements (present or future) of its customers through value addition.